PNW Food Heritage

The restaurants that built the culture — from Mukilteo to Whidbey to Pike Place
Puget Sound corridor · Snohomish County · South Whidbey · Seattle
Some restaurants outlast the buildings around them. They become the fixed points — the places where three generations ate the same thing off the same counter. This page documents the long-running food institutions of the Puget Sound, from ferry-landing fish bars to retro diners, from 1908 taverns to 12-egg omelets. The ones that lasted did so because the place and the food were inseparable.
14Restaurants Profiled
1908Oldest Building
1938Oldest Active Brand
4Counties
3On Nat'l Register
560+Combined Years
1908 Oldest Building The Dog House, Langley
1938 Oldest Active Brand Ivar's (88 years)
560+ Combined Operating Years 14 restaurants, 4 counties
48 mi Geographic Spread Langley to Pioneer Square

Mukilteo & the Ferry Landing est. 1909–present

The ferry landing has drawn restaurants since before Washington was a generation old. The site where Ivar's Mukilteo Landing now stands has served food continuously since 1909.

Ivar's Mukilteo Landing

Founded 1938 (brand) · Mukilteo site since 1991
Snohomish CountyLandmarkOpen 710 Front Street, Mukilteo

Ivar Haglund (1905–1985) was a folk singer, aquarium builder, and marketing genius who opened Seattle's first aquarium on Pier 54 in 1938, then added a fish and chips counter. By 1946 he'd opened Ivar's Acres of Clams. His motto: "Keep Clam."

The Mukilteo site predates Ivar's by 82 years. In 1909 it was a saloon. Howard Josh built a lunchroom next to the ferry in 1924. It became the Eagle Lunch Room (Fraternal Order of Eagles), then the Ferry Lunch Room under the Burke family in the 1930s. The Baker brothers ran it from 1934. Ed and Mildred Taylor bought it in 1944 and built Taylor's Landing — cocktail lounge, gift shop, and dining room built out over the water (1962). Their sons became Mukilteo civic leaders: Dick served as councilman, mayor, and state legislator; Ed helped found the Mukilteo Lighthouse Festival. Named 1979 Citizens of the Year.
1909 Saloon opens at ferry landing site
1924 Howard Josh builds lunchroom
1934 Baker brothers take over
1944 Ed & Mildred Taylor purchase — create Taylor's Landing
1962 Dining room built out over the water
1979 Taylor sons named Citizens of the Year
1991 Sold to Ivar's
2016 Sold to MSI Mukilteo LLC (Martin Smith III — cousin to Ivar Haglund's family)

Ivar Haglund purchased Smith Tower in 1976 — once the tallest building west of the Mississippi. He was elected port commissioner in 1983 "as a prank." In 2009, Ivar's planted fake "historic billboards" on the floor of Puget Sound, conspiring with a local historian to "discover" them. The chain now runs 24+ seafood bars, 3 fish bars, and 3 full-service restaurants. They also own Kidd Valley burgers.

117 years of continuous food service at one site. The Mukilteo ferry landing location has passed through at least seven distinct operators since 1909 — saloon, lunchroom, Eagles lodge, family restaurant, waterfront dining room, and corporate seafood chain. The Taylor family's 47-year tenure (1944–1991) shaped the modern site: they built the over-water dining room in 1962, hosted civic events, and raised two sons who became community leaders. When Ivar's purchased in 1991, they inherited not just a building but a century of waterfront dining culture. The 2016 sale to MSI Mukilteo LLC kept it within the extended Haglund family orbit.

Charles at Smugglers Cove

Building c. 1929 · Restaurant 1989–2015
Snohomish CountyClosed 2015 8340 53rd Ave W, Mukilteo

The building was constructed during Prohibition by C.P. Richards, a former police officer turned rum-runner. A second basement hidden behind a fake furnace concealed a 9×9-foot room with a still. A tunnel ran to the gulch and Puget Sound for escape. Allegedly connected to Roy Olmstead's bootlegging network — Olmstead was the "King of the Puget Sound Bootleggers."

1929 Built as bootlegging operation by C.P. Richards
1950 Opened as "Waldheim" (forest home) by the Tobiasons
1989 Claude Faure (Lyon, France) opens French fine dining
2014 Claude Faure dies
2015 Closes December 31. Building sold for $850,000

Panoramic views of Possession Sound from the bluff. Previously known as "53rd Street Manor" and "Mukilteo Chop and Oyster House." Claude had been head chef at Chez Claude in Edmonds before opening here.

Prohibition architecture as dining destination. The building's bootlegging infrastructure — the hidden basement, the tunnel to the gulch — became part of its mystique as a restaurant. Claude Faure's 25-year run (1989–2014) transformed a smuggler's den into one of Snohomish County's premier French dining rooms. The $850,000 sale price at closing reflected the bluff-top real estate value rather than the business; the restaurant's true legacy was proving that fine dining could thrive north of Seattle if anchored to a place with genuine character.
Mukilteo ↔ Clinton ↔ Langley
MUKILTEO CLINTON LANGLEY
20 min ferry  •  15 min drive  •  Possession Sound crossing
The Mukilteo–Clinton ferry crosses Possession Sound to Whidbey Island. From Clinton, it's a 15-minute drive south to Langley — "The Village by the Sea."

Whidbey Island est. 1908–present

The other side of the ferry. South Whidbey's village of Langley sits on a bluff above Saratoga Passage, looking back toward Camano Island. The Dog House is its oldest surviving building.

The Dog House

Building 1908 · Tavern since 1937
Whidbey IslandNational RegisterClosed for renovation Corner of First & Anthes, Langley

Built in 1908 as The Olympic Club, a gentlemen's sports facility. The grand opening was a disaster — the promoter absconded with the funds, stranding all the guests.

Three levels: street level became Langley Mercantile & General Merchandise; upstairs was the game club; the basement served as the basketball court for Langley High School. The building hosted the first movie shown in Langley, functioning as the town's movie theater from 1922 to 1937.

Origin of the name: During Prohibition, the mercantile would close on Sundays to host weekly drinking and gambling sessions. Cots were set up for men to rest between games. Husbands who spent Sundays gambling returned home Monday morning to find themselves "in the dog house" with their wives.
1908 Built as The Olympic Club
1911 Ed Howard moves store and post office in after fire
1916 Becomes Howard's Confectionary
1922 First movie shown in Langley (through 1937)
1937 Becomes The Dog House Tavern
2010 Janice & Charlie Kleiner purchase
2013 Listed on National Register of Historic Places
2014 Demolition inquiry — city passes emergency ordinance to protect
2015 Renovation plans approved: restaurant/bar, residence, event space, water-view decks

Interior featured an 1881 tavern bar, oak tables, a restored 1923 player piano, and a 1910 water buffalo head. The exterior resembles an old West saloon. Sweeping wall-to-wall window view of Saratoga Passage and Camano Island. The only one of the four original buildings at the downtown intersection that survived — the large hotel burned in 1921. Langley's only structure on the National Register.

118 years of continuous use in a town of 1,100. The Dog House has been reinvented at least six times: gentlemen's club, mercantile, confectionary, movie theater, Prohibition gambling den, and tavern. The building's survival through 2014's demolition inquiry — which triggered an emergency city ordinance — reveals how deeply a single structure can embed itself in community identity. The Kleiners' 2010 purchase and subsequent renovation plan (restaurant, residence, event space, water-view decks) represents the latest chapter in what amounts to the entire commercial history of downtown Langley compressed into one building.

Seattle Icons est. 1938–present

The restaurants that defined Seattle's food identity — from the waterfront to Aurora Avenue to the Central District.

Dick's Drive-In

Founded January 28, 1954
SeattleCultural LandmarkOpen · 10 locations Original: NE 45th St, Wallingford

Founded by Dick Spady, H. Warren Ghormley, and Dr. B.O.A. Thomas. No substitutions allowed. All burgers cooked to well done. The Dick's Deluxe — lettuce, mayo, chopped pickles — unchanged since 1954.

Voted "the most life-changing burger joint in America" by Esquire (2013). Appears in Sir Mix-a-Lot's 1988 song and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis's 2012 video. $18M revenue, 270 employees (2021). Employee benefits include 100% employer-paid healthcare, $28,000 college tuition scholarship after six months.

1954 Wallingford opens (Jan 28)
1955 Capitol Hill
1957 Crown Hill
1963 Lake City
1974 Queen Anne (only indoor location)
2011 Edmonds (first outside Seattle)
2018 Kent
2021 Bellevue Crossroads
2023 Federal Way
2025 Everett (northernmost)
72 years of expansion at roughly one location per decade. Dick's growth pattern is uniquely conservative for fast food: five locations in 20 years (1954–1974), then a 37-year pause before expanding outside Seattle in 2011. The post-2018 acceleration (five locations in seven years) suggests a generational shift in strategy. The employee benefits — 100% healthcare and $28,000 tuition — predate the modern "living wage" movement by decades. Dick Spady was a pioneer of structured dialogue in civic planning, not just burger-making.

Ezell's Famous Chicken

Founded February 3, 1984
SeattleOpen · 17 locations Original: 501 23rd Ave, Central District (across from Garfield High)

Founded by Lewis Rudd, his sister Faye Rudd, and her husband Ezell Stephens. All three grew up in Marshall, a small town in East Texas. They became friends working at Brown's Chicken in Marshall, dreamed of their own place since 1978, waited six years for an SBA loan.

The Oprah moment (1989): Oprah was in Seattle filming a children's program. A production assistant suggested Ezell's. When told they don't deliver on Saturdays, she insisted. After trying it, she announced on her show: "It's the best fried chicken I've ever had." Lines stretched for 90 days straight. She reportedly has the chicken flown to Chicago when she has a craving.

The founders later split: Stephens opened unauthorized locations, a court case followed, and he renamed his stores "Heaven Sent Fried Chicken" in 2011 (all eventually closed). Rudd kept the Ezell's name. In 2021, Ezell's launched the R.U.B.B. Initiative — 20 grants of $2,500 to Black-owned businesses in Washington. 40th anniversary celebrated February 2024.

Beth's Cafe

Founded 1954
SeattleCultural LandmarkOpen 7311 Aurora Ave N, Green Lake

Opened by Beth and Harold Eisenstadt as a nickel-slots gambling parlor that evolved into a restaurant. The 12-egg omelet, served on a pizza tray with all-you-can-eat hash browns, is served for sharing (no prizes for finishing solo). The "Triple Bypass" — bacon, sausage, ham, two cheeses — is the most popular variant. The cafe goes through over 450,000 eggs per year.

Featured on "Man v. Food" (2009), listed in 1,000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. Voted "Best Place to Cure a Hangover" by Seattle Magazine. Walls covered in patron artwork — a tradition spanning decades.

Closed October 2020 during COVID. Reopened February 2023. Chris Dalton, who bought the cafe from a classified ad in 2002 and transformed it with fresh ingredients, died of pancreatic cancer in April 2020. Mason Reed took over management January 2024. One of the last true greasy-spoon diners on the Aurora corridor.

Bakeman's Restaurant

Founded 1970 · Closed December 22, 2017
SeattleClosed after 47 years 122 Cherry Street, Pioneer Square (basement)

Cafeteria-style lunch counter serving 300–400 downtown office workers daily. Turkey sandwiches on homemade bread ($5) were the signature. Binary choice: white or wheat. Founded by Matthew Wang; run by his son Jason Wang, known as "Seattle's Sandwich Nazi" for his strict ordering protocol: know what you want, have cash ready, keep the line moving.

"Dark on dark" — dark turkey meat on wheat bread. The regulars' order.Bakeman's ordering language

Jason retired before 66. He'd hoped his sons would take over, but they declined. On one of its final days, an enormous line snaked out the door as people came to pay tribute. The Seattle Times, Cascade PBS, and KNKX eulogized it as the death of "old Seattle."

Pike Place Market est. 1907–present

The Crumpet Shop

Founded 1976
Pike PlaceOpen Corner Market Building, First & Pike Place

Founder Gary Lasater originally named it "The United Metropolitan Improved Crumpet Baking & Punctual Delivery Company" — customers just called it The Crumpet Shop. He introduced Seattle to English griddle cakes: unsweetened batter of water, flour, yeast, and salt, cooked in rings on a hot griddle.

Corby Kummer of The Atlantic (2007) called it "the most authentic and best scone I know in the country." Nearly 50 years of continuous operation. New owners Amy and Cooper Golding opened a second location in downtown Edmonds.

Ivar's Acres of Clams

Founded 1946
SeattleLandmarkOpen Pier 54, Alaskan Way

The flagship. Ivar Haglund's original aquarium site, expanded to a full restaurant on July 22, 1946. The Salmon House (1971) was designed as "an almost exact replica of an old Indian longhouse." Ivar's sponsored the Fourth of Jul-Ivar's fireworks at Myrtle Edwards Park from 1964 through 2008, drawing 300,000 annually. The tradition ended in 2009 when they redirected funds to Northwest Harvest.

Haglund was born March 21, 1905, to Swedish and Norwegian immigrant families. His maternal grandparents purchased Alki Point in 1869. His mother died in 1908 under the care of Linda Hazzard, a controversial "fasting specialist," though autopsy revealed terminal cancer. He graduated UW in 1928, built his aquarium in 1938, and died of a heart attack January 30, 1985. With no heirs, his estate went to the UW School of Business Restaurant Program.

Snohomish County est. 1947–present

From retro diners to legendary cinnamon rolls — the county's own food institutions, many predating the suburban expansion.

Totem Family Dining

Building since 1947 · Family-owned since 1953
Snohomish CountyOldest in EverettOpen 4410 Rucker Avenue, Everett

The building has housed a restaurant since 1947, starting as the Totem Drive-In with carhops and counter service. Bliss and Joyce Settergren purchased it in 1953 and converted to full sit-down. Current owners (since 2011) added competition barbecue — their father Wayne pioneered competition BBQ 20+ years ago, earning invitations to the Memphis in May World BBQ Competition.

Voted "Snohomish County's Best Breakfast" by the Everett Herald every year since 2014. Iconic retro neon sign with totem pole. The oldest continuously operating restaurant in Everett (78+ years at this location).

Maltby Cafe

Building 1937 · Cafe since 1988
Snohomish CountyOpen Maltby, WA (in a 1937 schoolhouse)

Operates in the lower portion of a 1937 gymnasium and cafeteria built for the adjacent 1907 school. The giant cinnamon rolls take over 2 hours to make — the recipe came with the restaurant and has never been changed. On busy weekend mornings, bakers turn out up to 200 fresh-baked rolls.

Purchased in 1988 by Tana Baumler and three friends. Now a true family business with Baumler's daughter Keesha Laws as manager. People drive from across the region for weekend breakfast. Country-style everything, homemade, chopped fresh.

Buzz Inn Steakhouse

Founded 1981
Snohomish CountyOpen · 12 locations HQ: 3615 Broadway, Everett

Bill Tackitt bought the Buzz Inn Tavern and Bee Hive Cafe in 1981 and merged them the next year. Now 12 locations, nine in Snohomish County: Arlington, Everett (two), Granite Falls, Lake Stevens, Marysville, Monroe, Snohomish. Tackitt remains majority owner. Generations of families have eaten here.

Cabbage Patch Restaurant

Founded June 15, 1975
Snohomish CountyOpen Historic Downtown Snohomish

The building dates to 1905 and has served as a residence, boarding house, and antique store containing Native American artifacts before becoming a restaurant. Located in the heart of downtown Snohomish, "Antique Capitol of the World." Rebuilt after a fire by owner Sandra, restored to its original character.

Mr. Bill's

c. 1980s–2008
Snohomish CountySeattleClosed Everett Mall & 930 N 130th St, Aurora Ave

1950s retro diner with pink neon, Howdy Doody imagery, red flocked wallpaper, and music from the '50s and '60s. Voted "best pastrami sandwich in the Northwest." Huge portions, especially the chicken-fried steak. The Everett Mall location opened 1993 and ran until January 31, 2005, when the mall's new owners bought out the lease for a Borders Books.

Represents the lost era of kitschy, family-friendly themed diners on the Aurora corridor and in suburban malls. A Facebook nostalgia group post drew significant engagement from people recalling family meals.

Gone But Not Forgotten

Alfy's Pizza

Founded 1973 · Last Everett location closed 2023
Snohomish CountyClosed

Classic pizzas, all-you-can-eat salad bar, arcade games. A staple for kids and families for nearly 50 years. The last Everett location was converted to a thrift shop.